Sunday, October 08, 2006

Bay County Airport - Different Points of View

Today I received an email asking me to post two articles found on the airport that discuss a point of view that he agreed with. Before you read it, I'll just say that it is a doom and gloom, shouting conspiracy kinda' article.

Let me just go ahead and say, if you hadn't guessed already, that I am very much for the new airport and the growth that it will bring this area. The articles mention that St. Joe has tremendous influence on the relocation and has motives that align with making their pocket books thick. Of course that is one of their intentions. Think about it. The purpose of being in business is to make money. If you have some complex of "rich people", "the man", or "the corporation", get over it. The American way is to have an idea, capitalize on it and get rich; some people got it, some people don't.

Additionally, St. Joe can build all the homes that they want, but if they don't have anyone to purchase them, the whole airport idea is flushed down the toilet. I could be wrong, but I'm sure St. Joe has done their homework on whether there will be a market for whatever they are planning to develop in the West Bay area.

Another thing the articles state is that the traffic at the Panama City Airport has decreased in the past few years. Of course it has. The only time I fly out of here is when someone else is paying my fare; it costs twice as much to fly out of here than Ft. Walton or Pensacola. If that's what I do, I'm sure many others do it as well. I'm not even a frequent traveler. Not to mention the small puddle jumpers that will only take you to Atlanta or Memphis. I'm getting motion sickness just thinking about them.

Also, you have to remember that Bay County residents will not be the only patrons to this new airport. People will drive from Destin, Ft. Walton, Dothan, Tallahassee and more to fly out of there.

I'm not as educated as some on this topic, these are just my opinions based on the knowledge that I have. I respect other people’s opinions and am grateful that we live in a nation that we can debate such issues. It is my opinion that the airport will bring great growth and progress to this area. I’m opening a can of worms, but what do you think?

The link to the article can be found
here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two words come to mind -- Fort Myers. If you endured "puddle jumpers" into Page Field in the 70's you know what Southwest Regional Airport did for the Ft. Myers/Naples area. There was a time when it seemed the entire population of Bexley, OH (a suburb of Columbus) would be in the Delta waiting area at Port Columbus heading to Naples for Spring Break. The Baby Boomers and their now grown kids (and grandchildren) will soon be queuing up at Port Columbus to $pend $pring Break (the $ was intentional) in Destin, Ft. Walton and Panama City Beach. Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

Jason Koertge said...

Exactly.

Anonymous said...

To "anonymous" -Those Spring Breakers you seem to not want down here make up the tourist industry that Panama City survives on. People are quick to complain about the low wages and lack of industry in Bay County, but when something comes along that will, without a doubt, boost the economy, they complain that it will bring more tourists. Duh. Get over it. Having a bigger better airport will also bring cheaper flights in and out of Bay County which not only would benefit residents but could also improve "off-season" tourism and in effect, bring more money to the area. If you don't like tourists and spring breakers, you are in the wrong town.

Anonymous said...

I have lived in Florida my entire life, and love the beaches.
I watched as a kid when Orlando added their International Airport which drew Disney World along with many other attractions, and tourists to the area.
You have to have the easy Airport access in and out in order to draw the large masses of tourists.
Part of me says slow down, but I know how healthy the Airport will be for our economy, and that we have only just begun and growth process that will extend over many years to come.
I know we will loose the quiteness of the area, but gain so much more in the very near future. "When we build it - They will come!"
I would love to have you on the show to debate this issue -
Donna Fries "Host of Real Estate Radio Show Sat. 11 AM FM101.1"

Anonymous said...

If the new airport is such a money making, job creating business venture. St Joe owns all the land at the new site and now owns a blanket development order for all of Bay County, then I ask you why not let them build, own and manage this new airport. That way they can make all the money there is to be made from the operation of this new facility. If St Joe wants this airport so badly let them put up all the money, leave the tax payers alone and lets see how well they can lower the prices of the fairs that will still only be going to Atlanta and Memphis.